At the time of its opening in 1929, the Clifford B. Connelley Trade School was one of the largest and most modern schools of its kind, offering classes in carpentry, plumbing, automotive mechanics and more to 1,500-plus students. The Classical Revival and Art Deco building in the Hill District, over 170,000 square feet, housed a cafeteria, gymnasium, auditorium and below-ground swimming pool. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, and to the List of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmarks in 2002. After severe budget cuts in the 1990s and a sharp decline in enrollment, the school closed but was given new life as the Energy Innovation Center. Renovation of the auditorium, shown here, will begin soon.