J&L Railroad Roundhouse: Lockers #2
The American Iron Company, founded in 1852 by Bernard Lauth and B.F. Jones along the Monongahela River, became the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company in 1854 when Lauth's interest was bought by James H. Laughlin. Originally producing only iron, the company began steel production in 1886, expanding its facilities and operations along both sides of the Monongahela River and along the Ohio River over the next 60 years. J&L Steel (known to Pittsburghers as simply "J&L") was Carnegie Steel Company's biggest competitor in the vicinity of Pittsburgh. The company closed in the 1980s along with most of the city's other steel companies.